In the News
Two ACC Culinary Arts Students Are Named To The US Foods Scholars Program
Congratulations to Emily Backus and Shyla Underwood!
You can find out more information about the US Food Scholars Program here:
2022 That Takes The Cake Show Winners!
Congratulations to our students who participated in the 2022 That Takes the Cake! Sugar Arts and Cake Competition!
Tasting Competition: – Rosalind Jordon – 2nd Place – Cookie
– Rosalind Jordon – 2nd Place – Common Ingredient – Citrus
Culinary Student Division:
– Alexandra Membrano – 2nd Place Tiered Novelty Cake
– Liath Appleton – 3rd Place Tiered Novelty Cake – Rosalind Jordon – Tiered Novelty Cake
– Irma Hammond – 2nd Place Tiered Wedding Cake
– Ivis Garcia – 3rd Place Tiered Wedding Cake – Katie King – Tiered Wedding Cake – Rosalind Jordon – 2nd Place Small Bites
We are so proud of you!
Culinary Department, HLC 2000, walk-thru video.
See our Riverbats Cafe and “A Day in the Life of David Greenfield.”
Click here to watch the video.
One of our students was featured in a spot on Studio 512 to promote our upcoming Boots and Bats Gala!
Austin American Statesman visited our Breads and Rolls class last Friday in anticipation of the SXSW Skill-Up showcase.
Students were making rye sourdough loaves and focaccia with a biga pre-ferment.
See the article here.
This is a video that was made after Susan Notter’s workshop at the ACC Culinary kitchens!
Here is a video from the Sliced and Diced Taco Challenge, a competition for AISD students that took place at our ACC kitchens!
Austin Community College (ACC) hosted professional pastry chefs from across Texas for a special one-day workshop learning the art of edible works with prominent pastry chef Susan Notter.
Chef Notter’s professional accomplishments include winning a gold medal at the 2000 Culinary Olympics and being named one of the Top 10 Pastry Chefs in the U.S. by Pastry Arts & Design Magazine. She has also appeared on several Food Network shows, including “Food Network Challenge,” “Cupcake Wars,” and “Halloween Wars” and is now the pastry arts program director at the Pennsylvania School of Culinary Arts.
“I learned about Susan Notter when I was in culinary school,” says Ellen Sternau, ACC Culinary Arts associate professor. “She owned the International School of Confectionary Arts in Switzerland. I was excited to meet her, and see what I could learn from her.”
Chefs participating in the workshop made delicate treats including fine chocolates and bonbons.
Sternau says she will share what she learned with her students.
“Teaching them the importance of being able to purchase such high quality, ready-to-use products is important and useful!”
It was recently brought to our attention that we were named #2 on a list of the 10 Best Culinary Schools in Texas, according to www.bestchoiceschools.com.
Spectrum news visited us in our Riverbats Cafe kitchen while doing a story about the boil-water-advisory in Austin.
See the video featuring footage of our kitchen here.
Read a short article about our culinary students dealing with the water restriction here.
Get a glimpse inside our Riverbats Cafe Kitchen here!
World Chocolate Day, July 7
Check it out!
ACC Culinary Students Take Gold at That Takes the Cake Show 2018:
Congratulations to Wara Pawawongsak
And thanks to all students who participated! We are so proud of you!
Watch the video
Culinary and Pastry Arts students win at national competition
Congratulations to our students who participated in the 2017 That Takes the Cake! Sugar Arts Show and Cake Competition! Student Division:
– Dacia Schoolfield – 1st Place Tiered Novelty Cake
– Gabby Arvizo – 2nd Place Tiered Novelty Cake
– Karina Calderon – 1st Place Tiered Wedding Cake
– Bryan Dorall – 2nd Place Tiered Wedding Cake
– Jeanna Carlisle – 3rd Place Tiered Wedding Cake
– MarYSol Ledesma – 2nd Place Single Tiered Cake – Fondant
– Marisa Barrera-Marquez – Tiered Wedding Cake
– Lauren Johnson – Tiered Wedding Cake
– Carson Nunez – Tiered Wedding Cake
– Fouzia Boudjennad – Tiered Wedding Cake
– Denise Basore – 1st Place Specialty Technique
– Wara Pawawongsak – 1st Place Tasting Competition – Cookie
– Alexandra Hughes – 1st Place Tasting Competition – Common Ingredient – Yeast
WAY TO GO!!!
July 22, 2015
The Pastry Arts Study Abroad program and students have been featured in the Community College Daily online publication.
June 17, 2015
Riverbats Cafe will be open every Tuesday and Thursday starting June 23, 2015 for the Summer 2015. Please visit the Riverbats Cafe webpage for more information and weekly special menu.
March 11, 2015
Student Staffed Restaurants
Our student-staffed restaurants are in full swing and Fox News has featured our program.
The Rivebats Cafe is open every Wednesday from 11:30am to 1:00pm through May 6, 2015. Bistro 3158 is open every Thursday through May 7, 2015 with reservation seating starting at 6:00pm. Seating is limited.