Can you tell me about the programs you offer and what makes ACC different from the other schools in the Austin area?

  • Our Program is one of the few in Texas that offers certificate and associate degrees specializing in Meeting & Event Planning.

  • We schedule our courses in block time so students only have to attend a class once per week in the fall and spring and twice per week in the summer. A majority of the program courses are offered at the Highland Learning Campus. A limited number of courses will be offered online (DL). Hybrid (HYC/D) courses is the combination of the lecture and distance learning. For more information about our Distance Learning Standards click here.

  • We are very active in our industry and in community service programs. The department is involved in events around the city and students are asked to assist with various duties. These events allow students to gain real work experience and to network with industry members.

  • We offer job and internship placement assistance, departmental advising to all hospitality and meeting & event planning students each semester, professional development activities free to the students, and industry networking activities.

What are the requirements for entering each of the programs?

Students seeking to enter into the programs must first complete the ACC application process. Once they have completed the application, visited with an ACC counselor then they must meet with an advisor in our department. When the students meets with the departmental advisor, the discussion will center around the degree track the student desires to follow and the student and advisor will review course offerings.

What degrees and or certificates are available?

  • Hospitality Management Certificate

  • Meeting & Event Planning Certificate

  • Associate of Applied Science Degree in Hospitality Management Baccalaureate Prep (designed to complete most basic courses and then transfer to a 4 year institution)

  • Associate of Applied Science Degree in Hotel and Restaurant Specialization

  • Associate of Applied Science Degree in Meeting & Event Planning

  • Associates of Applied Science in Culinary and Hospitality Entrepreneurship

I have taken classes at another school, will my credits transfer?

Courses from another institution will first be evaluated by the ACC admissions and records office upon submission of official transcript(s). Once the transcript(s) has been received and evaluated by ACC, the department can review the course and determine if there are additional courses specific to the student’s degree plan that can be accepted for transfer credit. Students should understand that a grade of a “D” or below will not be accepted for transfer credit by the department.

What is the difference between the Continuing Education and the Workforce Meeting & Event Planning program?

The difference between the Continuing Education and the Workforce meeting and event planning courses is that the Workforce courses are academic credit courses and are taken by an individual who is working towards an academic degree. The courses taken through our program can be used to transfer to another institution. Continuing education courses will not transfer to another institution.

What classes will I be required to take first as a new student to the program?

Students can expect to take the following courses. Course enrollment could vary depending on seat space available in the course and evaluation of transfer credits (if any). Other course offerings will be discussed during the advising meeting.

  • CHEF 1205 – Sanitation and Safety

  • HAMG 1319 – Computers in Hospitality

  • HAMG 1313 – Front Office Procedures

  • HAMG 1321 – Introduction to the Hospitality Industry

  • ENGL 1301 – English Composition

Are all of the classes offered each semester? 

Not all of our courses are offered each semester.  To help you plan out your semesters, please use this chart  as a guideline to see when classes are offered and the course type that is being offered.  Please note that the schedule is subject to change.

Will there be additional lab costs or uniforms required during the semester?

There are additional lab costs and uniform costs. All students seeking an Associates of Applied Science in the programs of HAMG, MEEP, and a certificate in HAMG will need to purchase chef uniforms, non-slip black shoes, and a knife kit in order to take the required course of Basic Food Prep. An orientation is held each semester, which must be attended to obtain information about the course.

How do I schedule an advising appointment?

Appointments can be made online by visiting our advising page.
Advising is mandatory for all courses within our department except:

  • Introduction to the Hospitality Industry

  • Introduction to the Convention and Meeting Planning

  • Special Topics: Business Professionalism

Do I need to apply for graduation?

Yes, students are not automatically awarded their certificate or diploma.  Upon registering for the last semester of courses students should log onto Self-Service and apply for graduation.  This is required in order to officially graduate from the programs.  This needs to be completed if the student does not plan on participating in the graduation ceremony.